Welcome Nick Bland to Creative Kids Tales.
It was kind of surreal meeting my daughter’s idol. I can call him that because at 18 months she doesn’t care about musicians, boys or things that I’m sure will cause me to tear my hair out in years to come. No, at 18 months my daughter affectionately known as Amy bear, is obsessed with all things furry. In this instance, The Very Cranky Bear, The Very Itchy Bear and The Very Hungry Bear. Phew! That is a lot of bears. Not really - only one. But one who has had many adventures and my daughter hopes will have many more.
Nick Bland, or rather his stories, are what has captured her heart and by proxy mine.
So it seemed only fitting that I find this master of all things beary and invite him to Creative Kids Tales.
First let me tell you a little about the talented Nick Bland.
Nick was born in the Yarra Valley, Victoria in 1973.
His illustrator’s hat was inherited from his artist father and his story telling ability no doubt handed down from his mother, a school teacher.
By the age of 6, Nick’s creative spark fuelled into a lifelong ambition to be not only a published storyteller but illustrator too.
It was during his early working years in a bookshop that Nick honed his talents, using the shop as his own personal training ground and absorbing everything from the shelves.
In 2001 Nick submitted ‘A Monster Wrote Me a Letter’ to Scholastic Australia. And the rest as they say is history.
This year Nick was honoured to have The Very Cranky Bear chosen as this year’s National Simultaneous Story Time book.
On 23 May 2012, just after 11.00am a thunderous ‘Roarrrr’ sounded across the country as thousands of children particpated in this year’s event.
Nick now lives in Darwin as a full time author and illustrator, but frequently tours the country enthralling children with his stories.
- CBCA Notable Picture Book of the Year for A Monster Wrote Me a Letter (2006)
- Kids Own Australian Literature Awards (KOALA): Honour Picture book category: for The Wrong Book (2010)
- Kids Own Australian Literature Awards (KOALA): Shortlisted Picture book category: for The Wrong Book (2010)
- REAL Awards: shortlisted in Picture book category for The Wrong Book (2011)
- Winner of the CBCA Book of the Year: Early Childhood for The Runaway Hug (2012)
Books by Nick Bland include:
- A Monster Wrote Me a Letter (2005)
- Aussie Jingle Bells (2006)
- I've Lost My Kisses (2007)
- Donald Loves Drumming (2008)
- The Very Cranky Bear (2008)
- When Henry Caught Imaginitis (2008)
- The Wrong Book (2009)
- The Very Itchy Bear (2010)
- Twinkle HB (2010)
- Some Dads (2011)
- The Aunties Three (2011)
- The Runaway Hug (2011)
- The Magnificent Tree (2012)
- The Very Hungry Bear (2012)
Some very clever chaps at Wheelbarrow have adapted Nick’s stories for the digital age. You can find The Very Cranky Bear, The Very Hungry Bear, The Very Itchy Bear and The Wrong Book all at the iTunes store.
We hope you enjoy this month’s featured author, Nick Bland.