There are many words that sum up 2020, none of which we are going to use here!
I think everyone will agree overall it sucked!
From fires, floods and storms to a Pandemic that no-one would have thought possible.
- Author school visits were cancelled.
- Kids were forced to home-school.
- Festivals and conferences were cancelled.
- We became accustomed to juggling our solitary writing life every time one of the kids tapped us on the shoulder.
- Toilet paper became as precious as gold.
- Many lost their jobs.
As the world entered lock down, we were forced to get used to the new norm. Zoom became our new best friend and the learning curve was swift. Despite being confined to our homes, suddenly we were able to visit more schools through this new online marvel and the whole world opened up.
A few more positives to emerge were:
- The earth was able to breathe again with factories and travel shutting down.
- We were connecting with one another like never before.
- There was less conflict in the world.
- Book sales increased.
- We embraced home shopping.
- We enjoyed more quality family time.
- Recommendations for Netflix shows to binge grew.
- Book launches moved online.
- More time to write and dream.
We no longer needed to make long drives, hop on a plane or travel away from our loved ones in order to do our job. Our new audiences could be reached through our computer screens. We developed creative ways to present and share our stories.
At CKT HQ it gave us time to plan for our upcoming ten-year celebrations.
Creative Kids Tales Writers’ Festival
We began putting together our next CKT Writers’ Festival and invited a stellar line-up of creatives to join us for our 10-year celebrations. Our goal is to meet face-to-face at Cronulla RSL on 5 June. However, we will also have Plan B ready to go in case we are still unable to get together. Either way the festival will go ahead, either in person or online on 5 June.
Should we have to move to Plan B, our festival will take place over two fun filled kidlit days, 5 and 6 June.
- Ursula Dubosarsky (Australian Children’s Laureate)
- Andy Griffiths (Treehouse Story Legend)
- Tim Harris (Author of Toffle Towers and Mr Bambuckle’s Remarkables)
- Wendy Orr (Author Nim’s Island)
- Margrete Lamond (Award-winning Publisher and Author)
- Margaret Hamilton (Publisher, Author and owner of Pinerolo)
- Adam Wallace (New York Times Bestselling Children’s Author)
- Louise Park (Literacy expert. Author H.I. Larry, Mac Park, Poppy Rose)
- Tina Harris (Lah-Lah’s Big Live Band)
Our theme is Know Your Audience. We know these speakers are more than qualified to share their experiences and knowledge to help you get to know your audience and become the story-teller you aspire to being.
More ten-year celebrations
We have a shiny new website coming in 2021 that will be home to our new services:
- CKT Writing Academy
- CKT Writers’ Hub
- CKT Publishing
- CKT Speakers Agency
Manuscript Assessments and Author Personal Training
A record number of people signed up for Author Personal Training and booked their manuscripts for assessments this year. We love being able to work closely with writers to hone their skills and help them to develop publishable stories.
Creative Kids Tales Speakers Agency
We are the first to admit, launching a speakers agency on the eve of a pandemic is not ideal. But we love a challenge 😊.
We were able to get our speakers into schools and libraries via Zoom. It was great to be able to connect with the kids and teachers and share stories with them.
If you are looking for the next perfect match for your literary event, we’d love to assist you. For more about the Creative Kids Tales Speakers Agency, we invite you to visit our website or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Creative Kids Tales Critique Group
Our critique group continues to grow. There are five individual groups that make-up our online Creative Kids Tales Critique Group community.
This year one of our critiquers celebrated by signing his seventh contract! That’s AMAZING and we are so proud of him. We are also proud of the fact that he workshopped his stories through our critique group.
We are looking forward to watching our critiquers and welcoming new ones.
Keep smashing those goals!
Creative Kid Tales Network Group
Our Creative Kids Tales Network Group also grew this year. Members shared their personal writing journeys, their frustrations and their dreams in the quest to reach their ultimate goal…publication.
We encourage you to join the Creative Kids Tales Network Group and start a conversation.
People we’ve chatted with in 2020
There are many organisations that offer services and support for emerging authors and illustrators. We thought we would help shine a light on some of these organisations and show just how we are all connected.
- #AuthorsForFireys – March 2020
- The Australian Children’s Laureate Foundation (ACLF) – April 2020
- Larrikin House – May 2020
- Buzz Words – June 2020
- Writing NSW – July 2020
- Children’s Books Daily – August 2020
- Creative Kids Tales Speakers Agency – September 2020
- Students Need School Libraries – October 2020
- Share Your Story – November 2020
- The Society of Women Writers NSW Inc – December 2020
Overall, in 2020 we grew more appreciative for what we have, as the reality of how quickly it can be taken away became all too real.
What’s in store for the world in 2021? Who knows? It will be a big year for us.
We hope you will come along for the ride and celebrate our 10-year milestone in 2021.
Oh, and keep your eye out for our NEW website.
See you in 2021.
Take care and happy writing!