In December 2021, Creative Kids Tales turned 10! That’s a long time in the kidlit industry.
I am proud of all that we have achieved. Over the past ten years, our industry has changed so much.
Creative Kids Tales was launched to help others, but I also needed help on my journey to publication. It’s no secret, in fact, I have promoted extensively over the years, that if you can’t go through the publishing front door, look for a window. That was the initial premise on which CKT was formed. But as the seed took shape, I realised there was an opportunity to do so much more not only for authors but for the writing community.
Our goals were simple.
- Assist emerging authors and illustrators on their publication journey.
- Offer them a voice and a place to display their work.
- Build a website with the tools and services to assist emergings.
- Share the journeys and advice from well-known industry names.
- Publish a collection of stories from Creative Kids Tales members.
- Run a festival.
We achieved all we set out to and a whole lot more.
I have been reflecting on our rich history and our many successes.
Here are some of our highlights from the last ten years.
- We’ve promoted over 500 authors and illustrators through our website.
- We’ve published over 150 authors and illustrators in our anthologies.
- We branched out into radio via The Author’s Shelf.
- We’ve hosted three festivals that have seen multiple emergings secure publishing contracts.
- We provide key services such as Author Personal Training and Manuscript Assessment services.
- The Cocoon Club, our online critique group, has seen many authors secure publishing contracts.
- For several years, we were the primary corporate sponsor of the KOALA Awards.
- We’ve interviewed over 100 prominent authors and illustrators.
- We’ve featured 21 key book industry organisations.
- YouTube is home to our Author’s Shelf interviews, including some that didn’t make it to air.
- We host various social media platforms for authors/illustrators to connect, share, and be inspired.
- We developed the INVEST the Write Way workshop, which provides vital information and tools for a successful writing career.
- The CKT Writing Academy runs workshops with presenters: Jackie French, Jacquie Harvey, Susanne Gervay, Louise Park, Clare Hallifax, Megan Daley, Wendy Orr, Sue Whiting and Tracey Hawkins.
- We run writing competitions.
- We offer a Contract Assessment service.
- We ran the CKT Kids Book Club, which provided kids with free books to enjoy and review.
- We featured Australian publishers via our Publishers in Focus series.
- We’ve supported Books in Homes and Love2Read.
- We are listed on the National Library’s Pandora Archive.
- We’ve reviewed books and blogged.
- We donated thousands of dollars worth of books to hospital kid’s wards.
- In 2019, we launched the CKT Speakers’ Agency.
- In 2021 we launched CKT Publishing.
- Our site averages 400,000 – 500,000 hits per month from local and overseas visitors.
- We have assisted hundreds of authors and illustrators on their journey to publication.
Since launching CKT in 2011, I have met some amazing people and formed fantastic friendships, and while one of my goals was to get published, I am thankful that I have gained skills not only as a writer, but as a mentor, teacher, educator, festival director, radio host, presenter, and entrepreneur.
I love being able to work in a job that makes my heart sing. There is no greater reward than helping creatives on their path to publication. But CKT is a team effort, and I am fortunate to be surrounded by incredible people who have supported and guided me over the years.
Thank you to those who have walked alongside me for this journey. I hope you will continue as we take our first steps into the next 10 years.
Happy 10 years Creative Kids Tales!